£10,000 reward offered over attack on 98-year-old war veteran during London robbery

A £10,000 reward has been offered to help catch those responsible for an attack on a 98-year-old Second World War veteran who was “left for dead” in his own home.

Peter Gouldstone remains in a life-threatening condition in hospital following the robbery in Enfield, north London.

His family released a picture of the former telephone engineer fighting for his life after he suffered severe injuries including two bleeds on the brain.

On Thursday, Crimestoppers offered a reward of up to £10,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible for the “horrific attack”, Scotland Yard said.

He was left for dead in his own home, a place where he should feel safest

Detective Inspector Paul Ridley said: “Mr Gouldstone remains in a life-threatening and critical condition in hospital.

“He was left for dead in his own home, a place where he should feel safest. There is no way of knowing when he would have been discovered.

“Had it not been for a member of the public raising the alarm, I believe that Mr Gouldstone would have succumbed to his injuries.

“My investigation team has been working relentlessly to trace the individuals behind this horrific attack.”

An image of the unconscious widower hooked up to tubes on a hospital bed with bruises on his arms and face was released on Wednesday.

His son Simon Gouldstone told reporters his father had worked on phone lines in Italy during the Second World War before going on to a career at the Post Office and retiring in around 1980.

The former civil servant, 67, said he found his father in a “semi-conscious state” in his bedroom on Evesham Road on Tuesday morning after the back door was broken in.

As a member of the family I'm shocked, as a member of the human race I'm lost for words at man's inhumanity to man I'm afraid

Simon, who was alerted by a neighbour, told reporters: “I don’t know how they can live with themselves. The sooner they’re locked up the better.

“As a member of the family I’m shocked, as a member of the human race I’m lost for words at man’s inhumanity to man I’m afraid.”

The violent raid took place in a 20-hour window between 2pm on November 5 and when he was discovered, but officers believe it was most likely under cover of darkness.

A black Panasonic 26in TV was stolen from the house along “with a number of other items”, police said.

Mr Gouldstone has lived in the terrace house for more than 60 years, and neighbours said he was rarely seen outside following the death of his wife of 65 years Joan several years ago.

The couple also had a daughter.

Elderly neighbours said there had been several burglaries in the area in recent years and spoke of their shock and concern following the incident.

- Press Association


Related Articles

Former trader behind UK’s biggest banking fraud deported to Ghana

Orangutan takes to the streets of London after Iceland Christmas ad banned

Orangutan takes to London streets after Iceland Christmas ad banned

Armed gang use car in Selfridges ‘smash and grab’

More in this Section

Russia’s arrests of Alexei Navalny were politically driven, European court finds

South Korea begins dismantling guard posts

Huge blow for May as Esther McVey joins Dominic Raab in resigning over Brexit deal

UK's withdrawal agreement to be finalised at EU leaders meeting on November 25


Breaking Stories

Learning points: The truth is now being twisted in full view

’Tis the season to be sweet: What makes a good chocolate bar?

Gavin Bryars going with the flow

A question of taste with Tonie Walsh

More From The Irish Examiner