Harris stands by 'reasonable' €1.4bn spend on children's hospital

Health Minister Simon Harris has blamed design elements for the spiralling costs of the national children's hospital and pledged to use the “full rigour of the law” to pursue those responsible for the huge bill.

An “early warning” system for the project had been lacking, admitted Mr Harris.

But he also stood over the €1.4bn build, describing it as “a reasonable price” for the children's hospital.

Pressure is now mounting to explain why the minister and health officials, who were on boards overseeing the project, did not raise alarm bells over the spend ahead of last year's Budget.

A price of €983m was agreed for the hospital in April 2017.

By August 2017, initial overruns of €61m were flagged.

Mr Harris said he was told of these by that September.

He told the Oireachtas Health Committee that the National Paediatric Development Board (NPDB) was at that stage told to mitigate costs, through savings in engineering or design.

He then explained more about what the department secretary general, Jim Breslin, told him at the time in late 2017: “Yes, there is a cost pressure here.

We are going to manage it, we have told them to manage it. We are not proposing going to government in relation to this.

The next time Mr Harris said cost concerns were flagged with him was a year later, on August 27, 2018.

It emerged yesterday that several Department of Health and HSE officials at committee meetings repeatedly discussed cost concerns during that year, up until the summer of 2018.

Mr Breslin said he came back after the summer in 2018, “surprised” at the inflated pricing for the project.

He and the minister were aware that potentially the final cost for the hospital could be hundreds of millions of euro more.

But they both told the committee that there were no specifics at the time.

HSE deputy director general Dean Sullivan admitted that earlier that year, concerns had been raised about the cost.

Mr Sullivan who sits on a steering group for the project, said “there was noise in the system in April...there could have been another €50m coming over the hill.”

Fine Gael TD Kate O'Connell lashed the HSE official for using such fickle language about public funds.

It was “not normal” for taxpayers' money to be described as noise, she said.

She said it was "not credible" that not one health official had raised a flag about the overrun with the government during those months.

Officials were “taking us for fools,” she argued.

Even a high-level official in the Department of Public Expenditure - a “man in charge of shopping” for the nation Ms O'Connell said - had not told ministers about the costs, despite sitting on one of the three boards overseeing the project.

TDs queried the awarding of the contract to Dutch construction firm BAM, whose bid was €130m lower than the next.

Sinn Féin's Louise O'Reilly said it was an “abnormally low tender price”.

Mr Harris, said that, when looking at the quantities between the detailed design and the outlay, somebody did get it “seriously wrong”.

But he also said that €1.4bn was a "reasonable price" for the hospital.

More on this topic

BAM seeks €12m extra costs for hospital work

Review conflict of interest - Children’s hospital cost overrun

Paul Quinn tells PAC he would have been in breach of the law if he told Minister of hospital overspend

HSE accused of 'making eejits' of Public Accounts Committee over children's hospital

More in this Section

Boy, 13, with autism on hospital ward due to shortage of places in residential disability services

Taxi driver case prompts concerns over enforceability of bail conditions in sexual offence cases

Carlow has the highest rate of divorce in Ireland

Minister's refusal to allow child attend special summer school scheme prompts court challenge


Lifestyle

Film-makers at Schull Fastnet Film Festival reveal their favourite movies

These are our favourite winning gardens from the Chelsea Flower Show

Fashion Footprint: How you can close the loop on fast fashion

The scandal that should force us to reconsider wellness advice from influencers

More From The Irish Examiner